Monday 11 October 2010

Paris and I ~ 'Screening For Peace'

iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Screening For Peace ~


Screening For Peace, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

'A fleeting flicker of the City of Light, this pic? - Not quite!' i hear you mumbling, but yes, it is in a way.

Huddled away here in my favourite mosque of the moving image on a Sunday afternoon, the Les Halles UGC cinema sanctum is telling me the story of a bunch of monks who were mysteriously murdered in Algeria in the terrible civil war of the 90s.

We can be transported so far from home in our minds from the comfort of a plush theatre seat in the name of entertainment, it's easy to forget that these tragedies were and remain real for so many around the world.

This film, 'Des Hommes Et Des Dieux' (of men and gods), if we suspend the underlying folly of religion for an hour or two, is certainly a quietly powerful hymn to peace and tolerance, and the good that can (occasionally) be done in the name of faith. Amen.

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog)

2 comments:

Philippe Duport said...

Hy Sab,
I just discovered your work via Viadeo. I love it and I love the project of being "limited" as you say by an object to find a new way to create. It reminds me of the writing work of the Oulipo group (Georges Pérec, in particular, but you probably know all that).
Just a question : do you work with an app such as Hisptamatic ?, which I humbly use myself and find very cool.
Philippe

Sab said...

Thanks Philippe,
I'm really glad you like my stuff. I'll look up the Oulipo group to see what it's about.
I only use the iPhone, but I also use everything it allows me to do, including lots of amazing photo apps, including the one you mention. Hours of fun for all the family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...