Thursday 21 October 2010

Paris and I ~ 'And Sometimes I Just Sit'

iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ And Sometimes I Just Sit ~


It's sometimes best just not even to start to wonder 'Why?' and simply shrug and say 'OK!' when it comes to the sights the average Paris flea Market throws your way.

So people chuck away weird stuff. i understand that. So some people think that some other people might want to buy said thrown away stuff. This seems perfectly normal to me. So some people sit naked black baby dolls on old toilets full of cigarette ends in water inside giant bird cages with their heads between Teletubby Laa-Laa's legs and the odd pitchfork thrown in for good measure next to the Abbesses metro station and think someone's gonna pay good money for the thing. This is less transparent to me.

Whatev, it makes a good photo, and makes me wonder what the weirdest thing you've ever bought at a flea market is. No need to reply, which will save me the embarrassment of asking for comments and not getting any.

i once bought a mirror with a funny face on it saying 'Sometimes i just sit and think, and sometimes i just sit' (a bit like the girl in the picture) and gave it to my mum. That kinda sums me up for today.

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog)

2 comments:

The Armchair Parisian said...

Hmmmm.... I can't think of the weirdest thing off the top of my head, but I know that some of the coolest things I've dragged all the way home have come from Paris flea markets. (Cool being a relative term here)

I recall being at the Vanves market with a friend, both of us rummaging in the same box when we both came up with identical finds ~ rows of teeth like the dentists use to match color. We both immediately dropped them and shrieked "Eeeeeew!" in unison. (we didn't buy them)

Sab said...

Hi there! I discovered the Vanves flea/antiques/curios market only at the beginning of this year thanks to a photo tour client who knew about it and I got some interesting pics for sure.

I'm disappointed you didn't go for the teeth - and I sometimes, no, very often, wonder who they think would actually buy that stuff. They can't make a living from selling old sets of false teeth now can they, surely? Weird.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...