Sunday 31 October 2010

Paris and I ~ 'La Toussaint, Demain (Evidemment)'

iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ La Toussaint, Tomorrow (obviously) ~


i woke this morning with a start from my bed and a marvellous idea. i know, i said, i'll go to the Montmartre Cemetery to take some pictures, i've been meaning to go for ages.

Yes, but let's go tomorrow, suggested my long-suffering bedfellow, and then i can leave a flower for those who are no longer with us.

Good idea, i replied, about the flower i mean, but, (with just a hint of superiority) i think you're forgetting that tomorrow's a 'jour ferié' here in France, and everything is closed, especially state-run places such as cemeteries! I hoped my indulgent smile showed i loved her more than i pitied her.

She, in turn, smiled sweetly and gently whispered into my ear with infinite tenderness and compassion, that's a very good point, but I think that you're forgetting that the reason it's a 'jour ferié' tomorrow is because it's All Saints' Day', which is the day of the year when more people go to cemeteries in France than all the other days of the year put together...

Luckily, at that point a couldn't hold off going to the bathroom any longer, and closed the door tightly to try and block out the hoots of hysterical laughter coming from the bedroom.

Happy All Saints' Day, tomorrow (obviously).

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog)

4 comments:

Wendy Hollands said...

The big pots of flowers have already started appearing in the cemetery that I can see from my house. It always seems like such a waste when I see the dumpster at the back of the church brimming with half-dead — but still half alive — pot plants full of flowers. They always get turfed while the flowers still look great.

Sab said...

Hi Wendy - well I'm planning on getting some shots with them still looking great, hopefully, tomorrow (obviously) ;-)

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Nice photo, but your narrative really made me laugh... hope you were able to capture flowers and interesting shots in the cemetery.

Sab said...

Thanks Genie,
I got some shots - still haven't looked at them yet after the event so I can't remember if there was anything worth getting excited about or not. Stay tuned :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...