Saturday 12 January 2013

CMY Sly Guy


Paris iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ CMY Sly Guy ~

CMY Sly Guy by Paris Set Me Free
CMY Sly Guy, a photo by Paris Set Me Free on Flickr.


BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

Got a new printer so I can, well, you know, print things. But print what, exactly?

My printed out output has almost totally dried up these days, and I have the same feeling when I ask people what they're actually going to do with their photos. They either don't know or will simply put them on some web-based hosting service like Flickr or Picassa or Instagram or Facebook. Printing is rarely an option.

Is this such a bad thing? On one level, I think it probably is. What a pleasure it was to finally get your snaps back from the printer and see what you'd got, like it or not.

But actually printing out photos has very much gone the way of traditional film for actually taking the shots; it's a fossil, a relic from another time. The same thing's happening to CDs and books and from a nostalgic point of view it is a shame.

Paris Pix on iTunes & Google Play!
So my new printer then? Well, I've just printed out some sheets for my Paris pub quiz which happens on Tuesday in central Paris (the Marais) if you're in the area. There's a round with questions based on photos - mine, as it happens - and for that I need a way of getting them onto hard copy, as we say in the trade. But apart from there there's not much call. Personally, I'm almost 100% digital. I don't even bother trying to sell my pictures and I can get a great deal of satisfaction from showing them on-line to people all over the world in the blink of an eye and the click of a button (or two).

It still saddens me slightly though, the answers to my famous question: what are you actually going to do with your wonderful pics. I'd like to imagine them gracing some physical photo album or coffee table book or photo gallery somewhere on the other side of the world, but I myself am a terrible example. I printed a test shot on some photo paper they'd supplied with the printer and actually got a thrill seeing it coming out and holding it in my sweaty little hands. Think I'll do a few more. There could be life in the old medium yet...



And why not...
_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2012 
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...