Wednesday 5 January 2011

Paris And I ~ 'Shadows & Ghosts' (Thankfully) Not A Poem

I almost started writing a poem about shadows and ghosts, inspired by this picture and yesterday's experiences recounted on this blog if you've been keeping up, but quickly realised that the only appropriate title I could come up with was 'Yet Another Borderline-Cringey Poem About Shadows & Ghosts' and I've written my fair share of those already, I assure you.

So here's the decringified version, but the familiar city streets seem somehow tinged with a different hue since reading the real-life story of psychopathically amoral mass murderer Docteur Petiot and visiting his unmarked grave with the author, Marilyn Z. Tomkins.

Suitcases feature regularly throughout the tale, for reasons probably best discovered under your own volition, and every time now I see a hurrying, shadowy figure on a bleak winter evening I'm taken back to those sinister days of Second World War occupied France as depicted atmospherically in Marilyn's book.

You can read my review of it here, by the way, and there's an interview and picture coming shortly too, just as soon as I get a proper connection going again. Bear with me and just be thankful I didn't poeticise all over you - I was just a shadow's breadth away from a Grim Ghostly Opus, I swear.

Book Review: 'Die In Paris'
paris-if-you-please.parissetmefree.com/2010/12/book-revie...

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog @ paris-and-i.parissetmefree.com )

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Gosh, Night and a man sets off with a suitcase ...

Was he on his way to Number 21 Rue le Sueur and Dr Petiot, do you think?

By the way,I went back to the cemetery ...

Beautiful picture, Sab!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...