Thursday 8 September 2011

Scrap Metal Skirmish


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Scrap Metal Skirmish ~


Scrap Metal Skirmish, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

She loves me, she loves me not. Whether you like or loathe, as I'm fond of saying, the Paris love-lock phenomenon is, for the moment, here to stay. It's as permanent as the purple emotion itself, in any case, if I can say that without sounding too sly.

I saw this craze described as a 'beautiful tradition' on a Paris blog this morning, but that's not quite accurate. My feeling's that a tradition has to have been going for decades and be somehow officially 'blessed' by the powers-that-be, even celebrated in some way. As it stands, these locks are neither canonised nor condoned, and could easily be removed du jour au lendemain (overnight / at any moment), as the French say, which is hardly traditional if you ask me.

It strikes me that I'm coming over a little negative where these locks are concerned. Maybe that's just revelatory of the shored-up condition of my heart at the moment, or perhaps, as a long-term resident I'm being a little reactionary, remembering the padlock-free days of yore, what, three years ago, and feeling the loss.

I quite like them, well, I did at the beginning, but now it's really becoming a case of too much of a good thing - you should see the state of some of the bridges, it's getting a bit much - and I'm wondering what's going to happen when the authorities finally materialise their mumblings about 'structural worries' and 'aesthetic concerns'.

Maybe it'll take a Bateau Mouche to run aground on the growing rustbank of keys that must be forming on each side of the four or five bridges most concerned, or possibly just a slight wiggle from Mr. Delanoë's eyebrow to have the whole lot crowbarred out of existence. I'm sure there's a poem in there somewhere.
_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...