Saturday 18 June 2011

Rip Van Winkle


IMG_7557, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

The van vandals. Have you ever wondered just how, when, who and even why someone would have gone to the trouble (and then watch it drive away)..?

Most of it isn't art. It's generally people's nicknames, which don't say much except what they say. Which isn't art, because art says much more than it 'says'.

Is a big yellow, paint can-clutching 'Mr. Happy' on the backside of a van in the 17th arrondissement of Paris on a mixed emotional night 'art'? Can you answer that yourself? Could I ever answer that for you?

I'll tell you one thing though: he's cool, I like him. He's happy and hopelessly carefree, letting it all hang loose; I'd like to see more Mr. Mini-Happys, for our sake, for art's sake, for goodness' sake.

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog @ paris-and-i.parissetmefree.com )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...