Thursday 2 June 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Cut The Crap'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Cut The Crap ~


Cut The Crap, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

Stumbled across a guy - well, I guess he stumbled across me really - leaving a self-promotional message on my Street Photography Secrets Facebook page, I think it was, who calls himself 'an author, a writer, and an award-winning street photographer'.

I was immediately intrigued and bought his book, which apparently is or has been the '#1 Best Selling Photo Essay and Artist and Photography Biography' on Amazon. He's called Lorenzo Dominguez and I'm enjoying dipping into '25 Lessons I've Learned about Photography Life!' on the train into Paris each day.

Now while something like this inevitably stirs twinges of envy, like 'why isn't that me?', it doesn't last long, as I admire any and all efforts to get ahead, work things out, promote oneself horourably and basically survive life with as much creativity and compassion as possible. Which is what Mr. Domingues seems to be doing.

This isn't a book review, as I do enough of those on publications about Paris and English teaching, and have to know when to say 'Stop!', but it has at least inspired a few words for today's Paris & I posting.

My approach is that we are all unique and in fields of one anyway, and that if you are original enough you can be number one in your area because you are the area! Maybe that's a bit idealistic, I admit, but it certainly allows you to deal with nasty little feelings like jealousy and teeth-grinding. I know one thing for sure, and that's that I'm the best person in the entire world at being Sab Will - no, seriously - there is no-one but NO-ONE who does that better than me, the corollory being that there is no-one who could have written this article, or produced the photo above, or created this blog or even led this on-going Sab Will day as well as I did and am doing, for the simple fact that they are not me.

Obviously the same goes for everyone else on the planet who are all busy living their lives and producing their own unique creations and moments better than I ever could. Which is exactly as it should be.

This is why, whether we realise it or not, we are on an absolutely level footing with the Leonardo da Vincis, Barack Obamas, Lady Gagas and Lorenzo Domingues of this world.

We do what we do better than anyone else, because no-one does exactly what we do.

Take a photograph. No, I mean, take a photograph. Even one of the Eiffel Tower. Only been taken a trillion times before, you might think; not much originality there. Oh but there is.

You held the camera. You chose the angle. You pressed the button. You occupied the space. You decided the moment. You lived the instant. You felt pleased. No-one else. Maybe the photo's crap. But you're not ;-D Have a nice day, your way; you're the only one who can.
___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...