Thursday 10 November 2011

What The F^@#?


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ What The F^@#? ~


What The F^@#?, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

There’s a cool silly song that was number one in the UK a few weeks back, which isn’t called ‘What The F^@#?’ but I’m sure that’s the catchy refrain it’ll be remembered for. That, and the other one, ‘Johnny, la gente es muy loco… wahhh!’

‘What the F^@#?’ is one of those expressions, as is common with cuss words, where it can mean many things. It can be an expression of surprise, incredulity even, disgust or a simple ‘I couldn’t give a damn’. Nice. And flexible too. I once saw one of those ‘funny’ things that do the rounds, showing ‘fuck’ being used as all parts of speech, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, verbs and performing practically every linguistic contortion and function you could care to imagine.

‘Fuck’ was one of the first words I looked up in the dictionary. That, along with… oh, well let’s not worry about that for now.

I tell my 14-year-old daughter to mind her language when she comes to see me. Then we happily sing ‘F^@#?’ together in front of my 2-year-old son. The censored version, that is. You should try it; it’s great fun trying to sing the bit that’s been scrambled out authentically, and I actually prefer it now to ‘la version intégrale’.

Hell, I’ve even got my partner, whose apallingness in English is equalled only by my utter crappness in Spanish, running around the house shouting What the FUCK! at any given occasion, such as finding a dummy on the floor, and finding my cringing reaction hilarious. I’m just waiting for the day when the director of our crèche pulls me aside and says ‘Monsieur Will, Léo ‘as bin shooting “Wat zee feuke!” oll zee dai’. Now that would be embarrassing.

I like saying ‘cuss’ instead of ‘swear’, by the way; I’m under the illusion it makes me sound cool in a southern United States black kind of way, although I haven’t quite worked out why a little north of United Kingdom white boy should believe that to be so, but never mind.

And this whole discussion brought on by the photo above, where a French bus driver is respecting zebra crossings (and those who cross over them) in the way only French drivers, err, don’t. With the only possible utterance emanating from the guy looking over his shoulder being, as far as I’m concerned, well, did you guess?

What The F^@#?!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...