Sunday 6 November 2011

Serge Deflers, 1999


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Serge Deflers, 1999 ~


Serge Deflers, 1999, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

What sort of person deserves such an ignominious ending? A cheap glass cross seemingly senselessly thrown upon a pile of earth and, well, ashes. A stick in the mud. Could have been my old dad. Or his dad. Or someone.

Serge Deflers. They knew you well. Well, well enough to have scrawled your name on a piece of driftwood stuck to a rotting twig.

1999. You almost made it to my last hugely romantic act: my request for the hand of a certain maiden who said yes, then no, which I've documented fulsomely elsewhere, to be sure.

Serge Deflers. You merited a stick, at least. For a long time I thought graves were for goons, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking I'd like to create a wonderfully square sculpture to bear testimony to my secular passing. But where would I put it? Any offers? Only that I'd really like it to be in Paris.

I used to think I'd like to be scattered like the four winds on the oceans of the world but now I'd quite like a corner, a little place I could call... what? Home? Not exactly. Me? Possibly. Paris? Probably.

Serge Deflers. You're one of a huge number of people I shall never know. This will not change. But I thank you for your simple passing, your memory on the Day of the Dead that I saw your mark, and although you won't read my words you've inspired me. That's a kind of meaning in itself, isn't it?

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...