Tuesday 15 November 2011

Rails To Nowhere


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Rails to Nowhere ~


Rails To Nowhere, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

I’ve got a new hobby. It’s called collecting rails to nowhere. You’d be amazed how often you come across them in Paris. Of course, I could take the easy way out and just take five million pictures of the Petite Ceinture and have done with it. But that’s not what this is about. I’m talking of things like what you can see here in this picture. You’re walking down a perfectly banal and anodyne Parisian street.. when suddenly; when suddenly you see a hint of a glint and before you know it you’re saying to yourself, as I did recently here on my Paris & I blog: What the F^@#?!

And there it is: a rail, or rails, leading, precisely… nowhere. That’s where the fun begins. Now you have to work out the whys and wherefores of such an unexpected occurrence. Sometimes it’s dead easy to find out; othertimes it’s an excruciatingly frustrating process. Occasionally you simply Google ‘rails at such-and-such a place’ and up pops an article about them. More often the topic is so obscure, or if there are articles so poorly referenced, that it’s a nightmare, albeit an interesting one, to, if I may, track them down.

These here ones here look as though they’re headed straight into a brick wall, and indeed they are, but they weren’t always. As this is going to be a new series in my Paris Top Tens I won’t go into details here, but look out for shiny, and often extremely scuffed stuff under your feet as you wander the city streets. And let me know what you find!

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...