Tuesday 11 October 2011

Over Your Shoulder


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Over Your Shoulder ~


Over Your Shoulder, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.
BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

Back in my English teaching days, by far the most popular anglophone idiom my students would clangingly drag out was 'melting pot', usually, and inevitably, within self-consciously air-enacted sets of inverted commas.

Actually, that's not quite true. The most common is the utterly redundant 'raining cats and dogs'. How I wished to retrospectively rip out the tongue of the misguided maitrewho taught their unwitting charges that we all go around saying "Oh my goodness, it's raining furry felines and pooches today, isn't it, Mrs. Weatherbottom?" at the drop of a cat.

But anyway, try as I might, I can't find a more appropriate expression for what we find on the Paris Metro, day in, and, yep, you guessed it, day out, in terms of a horizontal slice of humanity: a melting pot.

I'm sure I've already parodied various types of typical urban traveller, including myself, on several occasions, so I'll refrain from dragging that one out, but next time you're a-travellin', check out the footwear. Sometimes you see the funniest things.

And there's little chance you'll unwittingly catch someone's eye: what could be more natural than gazing at the floor to avoid the uncomfortable moment of undeniable human contact as someone catches us checking out their legs, their cleavage or the text message they're currently tapping?

Shoe-gazing's the way to go, folks. Eyes down, head buried in your phone messages, but secretly lining up a low-down fashion shoot to knock your readers dead. Just watch out for those a-checkin' out your phone screen over your shoulder, who know exactly what you're up to. That's the down-side.

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...