Tuesday 2 August 2011

Your Time Starts... Now!

Here's a funny thing I stumble across (well, drifted by, almost missing it) the other day. "What on earth..?" I asked myself. "Not another strange Paris curiosity that's just been sitting under my nose for years waiting to be crowbarred into my consciousness? Yep.

Now this will certainly be a future Paris curiosity in one of my Paris Curios publications so I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but it seems it's yet another fascinating aspect of time linked to the French capital. I'm not kidding when I say that time has a multi-intertwingled relationship with this city, and here's yet another example of that.

What's it about? Well in the old days not only did different countries have different time zones, but different towns within countries had their own hour system too. So how did people actually know what time it was?

Mmm... how about the central Paris hour guru? And this... would be it. Time over - same reader read again tomorrow!

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog @ paris-and-i.parissetmefree.com )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...