Saturday 13 August 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Floor To Floor Dwelling'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Floor To Floor Dwelling ~


Floor To Floor Dwelling, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

You'll have to forgive me for this one - it's Paris nerd's heaven tho'!

Coz what we're looking at here in this artistically merit-less photo is very rare indeed.

If you're anything like me, which I seriously doubt and hope you're not for your sake, you spend most of your time in the city with your eyes glued to the walls, doors and passages you're passing, like a true twitcher, obsessively seeking and sniffing out any oddities whose path you might happen to cross.

You will probably recognise the top one of these little blue plaques stating proudly that there is 'Gaz à tous les étages' (gas on all floors) as they are everywhere in Paris. These come from a time when this was a novelty and worth developers' time bragging about a little, hence the plaques. The trend was at its zenith with the on-tap gas revolution.

What's a LOT rarer though is the plaque below, proclaiming that water is also available under the same conditions (Eau à tous les étages).

I've done a lot of Parisian plaque divining in my time and can honestly say that I only know of about three or four of these plaques (the water ones) in the whole wide city. You should see me when I come across another one for my collection; it's pitiful, it really is.

But there you go: to each their own. One day I'll show you my photo of the beautiful blue enamelled Paris wall plaque which rather smuggly proclaims that there is 'Eau ET Gaz à tous les étages' in its particular building. Oh yeah - believe it, baby! Forget patisseries and chocolateries - I'm yer hard-lovin' amenities man through an' through. And don't even get me started on electricity! Glass of hot water, anyone?

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...