Sunday 22 May 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Stranger Than Fiction'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Stranger Than Fiction ~


Stranger Than Fiction, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

Possibly I threatened, but never actually got around to publishing a picture of Paris' potentially most controversial shop sign on my Paris and I blog. So here it is.

"Au Nègre Joyeux", says the panel, a throwback to times gone by when the slave trade was not such a distant memory and the attitude to 'negros' was somewhat different than it is today.

I go into much more detail on my free series, '20 Quarters / 20 Quirks', so I won't go on about it again here. Suffice it to say that it's a remarkable relic from another time, still allowed, in my mind thankfully, to huddle, along with its picture, against the wall of a bustling square on rue Mouffetard.

The picture itself is almost more controversial than the sign, as it seems to show a black servant serving a white woman with a ludicrous smile on his face. On closer inspection, however, it is quite possible that the truth lies elsewhere, and as is often the case, reality just may be stranger than fiction.

Go and see for yourself... and let me know what you think!


___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...