Monday 29 October 2012

Going Down


Paris iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Going Down ~

Going Down by Paris Set Me Free
Going Down, a photo by Paris Set Me Free on Flickr.


BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

This photo didn't inspire this poem, nor did the poem inspire the photo, but when I was looking for an image to illustrate the piece, this one seemed to suggest itself.

There's something profound, if you'll excuse the unintentional pun, about heading down deep into the earth which goes way beyond a simple escalator ride. I've always enjoyed such images. You really look like you're not only getting swallowed up by the earth but passing on through to the 'other side' of something.

I know there's no other side, silly, but you know what I mean and such things are in our culture so it kind of conjures them up.

Paris Pix on iTunes & Google Play!
I love associating pictures and poems (and simple prose like this) - it's probably one of my greatest pleasures in life. Sometimes, well, often it's the picture which inspires the prose, as that's how I write these chronicles. But with my poems I frequently need to go scurrying through my back catalogue of images for one to fit the words, which have often come first.

Blur's another important factor. No, not the group, the effect! If this picture had been sharp it wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Blur makes things universal and not personal. The person heading down down is now any person, not just some woman in a grubby cream coat with a black bag.

I often look for this 'universality' in an image - something that will apply to many circumstances or emotions and therefore hopefully appeal to many people. The thing with blur is, it has to look as though it was meant to be blurry, otherwise people will just think you couldn't hold the camera steady!



And why not...
_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2012 
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...