Monday 8 October 2012

Do You Dig It?


Paris iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Do You Dig It? ~

Who Gets It? by Paris Set Me Free
Who Gets It?, a photo by Paris Set Me Free on Flickr.


BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

Of all the jobs in all the world, I'm not sure sitting in an empty gallery all day would be my personal choice.

Having said that, my personal choice leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of people's eyes, so who am I to type..?

They say that most of these little galleries are actually struggling just to pay the exhorbitant rents demanded here on the arty left bank, and I can believe it. Their clientele these days are as fickle as they are few and far between judging from the emptiness of your average Rue de Seine or Rue Mazarine gallery on any given day. Check it out for yourselves and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, I lack all and any pretence of knowledge and savoir faire of this cabalistic underworld. They say that if you need to ask the price you shouldn't be in there in the first place and I can well believe it. These places still exude an aura of exclusivity despite desperately wanting people to come in and buy, just not any old people, that's the thing... There's codes, you see...

The funny thing is, the most natural thing in the world would be for you to go in, be warmly welcomed, intimately informed about the artists and their démarche, and leave, without for a moment feeling pressured into buying a thing. We're not talking a pound of your best plums here, you see...

I don't know. Maybe I could try it for a week or so, just for the life experience of it, but I doubt I'd last more, unless I could spend my time doing exactly what I'm doing right now and be paid for it. But that's not what these people are about. They're genuinely working hard to promote the artists they are, effectively, sponsoring, albeit with a 50% commission on every sale they make.

So here's to the little dude in his empty little gallery beavering away for all he's worth, either on Facebook or genuinely working for the common good for his uncommon clients toting totems and tokens of meaning. Hoping someone will get it. Does anyone get it? Do you get it?



And why not...
_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2012 
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...