Saturday 16 July 2011

Paris and I ~ 'I Don't Do Reality'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ I Don't Do Reality ~


I Don't Do Reality, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

In the hubbub of summer there are still moments of melancholy magic as you wait for trains, fight with the tourists and peer over the edge of the quays lining the Seine to see what people are getting up to on Paris Plage this year.

Ghost trains screech by carrying their disembodied load, much lighter in summer, with an eerie feel to them. And then there are the lonely people sitting opposite - they have always fascinated me, but then maybe I fascinate them, but I doubt it somehow.

You can't help wonder about their lives, but I certainly wouldn't have the patience to do what another Paris blogger does, she actually goes up to stranger and interviews them, with a pic. I read thse things sometimes but once the mystique has been peeled away I'm generally left feeling disappointed and somewhat hollow. I preferred the mystery. I realise that I don't actually want to know that 'Jean François is a law student but harbours a secret wish to tour the world'. Is that it? The results of your investigative journalism? And the photos are snaps. Oops, I'm getting bitchy and snobbish, but it's nothing, absolutely nothing against the person who does them, and certainly has nothing to do with the fact that she's just got a massive advertising contract with the manufacturer of the camera she uses (Samsung or somesuch, honestly, I ask you...).

Nope, I'm M. Discrêt, moi. Don't even want people to know I'm there, quiet as a Paris rat, and they must be quiet, considering there's one for every inhabitant of the city, although you'd never know so if you stay resolutely overground.

So I'll leave you with my little Mamma Mia, some little Asian girl whose story I don't want to know, whose voice I don't want to here and whose face-on portrait I don't want to see. I'm not the world's biggest fan of reality I'm afraid. I prefer my own world, although you're welcome to take a look around.

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...