Sunday 3 July 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Back To The Plantation'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Back To The Plantation ~


Back To The Plantation, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.

BONUS: For Street Photography Fans!

facebook.com/streetphotographysecrets

If you liked the 'Nègre Joyeux' I showed you in my 20 Free Paris Quirks, you'll love 'Au Planteur' which can be found near Sentier in the 2nd arrondissement.

Harking back to a colonial past, we see a 'black-skinned man' serving (or offering?) a drink to another man, this one pale-skinned and clothed in white.

I won't go into all the ethical issues raised by this image in modern day Paris, as I've already gone on about it at length when I posted the 'Nègre Joyeux' picture on this blog.

Suffice it to say that it's yet another highly striking reminder of the Paris of yesteryear, which one way or another we haven't quite forgotten. I saw a comment by someone who reacting to another person who called this a 'beautiful old picture' or words to that effect. The reaction was: would it be ok, then, to have swastikas and other Nazi insignia around the place, which we would also refer to as 'beautiful old...'? A good point, and one I won't expand on here. I will say, though, that I'm glad it's still there. If I have to defend that position I can try.

_________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...