Tuesday 5 April 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Make My Day'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Make My Day ~


Make My Day, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.


What have we stumbled on here - a war of the street artists? One of them aggressively challenges another, who responds fearlessly? Symbolic violence on the streets? Haven't we had enough of the real thing to last us a lifetime?

OK, it seems like a violent image, indeed, and it is. But then there's the context and the unseen facts behind it. Don't worry, the brains of our favourite refacer of the walls of Paris is not about to be decorating the vaults of some graffitied Valhalla anytime soon.

I actually took this picture about two minutes before meeting the creator of the colourful and wildly popular Paris painted faces - his face - that are all over the city now, so I asked him what it was about.

He told me that in fact it was a bit of a joke between these two artists (yes, the guy who put up the Clint Eastwood 'Make My Day' piece is a street artist too. He was featured in the first number of a new street art magazine and Gregos is in the second and the twain did meet through the Clint guy 'preparing the terrain' for Gregos, and Gregos rising to the challenge. So not as nasty as it seems and anyway, we see images like this all the time in our seething streets, don't we..?

I have three or four of my own 'Gregos' chez-moi which will be finished soon and then I'll become part of the Gregos legend on the streets of Paris for however long they last. Would you be surprised if I told you that I'll post pictures of them here when they're ready and up? No, I didn't think you would. Have a nice day!

___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...