Sunday 5 December 2010

Paris and I ~ 'A Bit of Tongue, Lip & Cheek'

iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ A Bit of Tongue, Lip & Cheek ~



There's something i always find a bit queasy about this ad, every time I go past any of the Wall Street English offices or see it staring me in the face in the Metro.

Maybe it's the blatant use of a sexual stimulus to attract my attention. Umm, it works, unfortunately. But then, why wouldn't it?

Or maybe it's the company's attempt to invent a new type of English; after American English, International English and Air-traffic Controller's English: wait, there's better: Wall Street English! Yeah right.

Or maybe it's simply that, as an English teaching and teacher training professional I know that their marketing department is what makes them tick and that their '97% SUCCESS' claim would be a wonderful illustration of Disraeli's attributed remark that: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Actually, I may be doing them a disservice. After all, their results are 'guaranteed by contract'; look, it says so on the poster.

So the question changes. What exactly is Wall Street English's definition of 'success'? Ahh. OK. I see. I have to do that, that, that, that and that, and I'll succeed. Well, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do absolutely all of those things, but OK, I'll sign up, let's go.

And if you don't do that, that, that, that and that, because you're, umm, human, you won't have fulfilled the 'contract' and you won't be able to contribute to their wonderful 97%. Shame.

97%, you'll notice, not 100. Because, let's face it folks, English is tough, as we all know, but 97% isn't bad though, eh? (wink wink, and let's lick our lips a little too...)

___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2010
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

And Wall street English...with a Union Jack tongue....puzzling.

Sab said...

Good point. Althought to be fair they do have other posters with the Stars & Stripes on equally slurpy tongues, for what that's worth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...