Monday 8 November 2010

Paris and I ~ 'Wet Dream Whimsy'

iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Wet Dream Whimsy ~


Wet Dream Whimsy, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.


The theatre and Paris; Paris and the theatre: it's a long love affair and i was part of it last night. Which is quite a rare occurrence, since i tend to go to the cinema or just wander around the city for obvious reasons.

Yesterday i invited a great fan - let's call her Sophie - of a popular French singer and actor, Patrick Bruel, to see him in a play at the Edouard VII theatre near Opéra.

i used to half hate him, due to having his maudlin pap rammed dawn my lug-holes month after month, especially seeing as how countless English-speaking 'sensitive singer songwriters' do it with infinitely more panache, and i say this with total authority, but i digress.

So, of course i don't really hate him, and the show was quite good, and going to the theatre is marvellous and all that, but there was one super-cringeworthy moment when we went for a drink beforehand and Patrick was there having dinner with his entourage, and Sophie blurted out in far too loud a voice: 'He's here! He's here in the bar..', complete with a squeaky schoolgirl squeal at the end (she's 40).

After dying a thousand miserable deaths from embarrassment (call it a guy thing) i somehow managed to navigate her off to the other side of the room, well out of sight of her idol.

No, i don't hate him, i just wonder what it must be like having 40 year-old women go weak at the knees just by, well, eating.

(Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Except Patrick's. Bastard.)

(A Paris iPhone street photograph by Sab Will for the 'Paris and I' photo blog)

4 comments:

The Armchair Parisian said...

OK, so I didn't actually know who this Patrick was, so with Google at my fingertips... It appears that he is himself 51, so having a 40-year old woman squeal in delight at seeing him might amuse him, but probably not make him cringe. At least I hope that would be the case. Or else he really is a bastard. I am happy I am not the only 40-ish woman out there who might do something involuntary like that...:-)

Sab said...

Yeah, the guy has a mixed reputation by all accounts. An absolute pillar of the French light entertainment establishment, he either takes you higher or just leaves you cold. I just ignore him, personally, except when I'm treating him as a specimen of the society I'm living in looking for some insights. Sigh. Why am I even spending time typing about him. Now he's starting to bug me again.. ;-)

the parisienne said...

hilarious ! Well, please don't tell anyone that my second name is...sophie ;))

Sab said...

Ah yes, I see we are on the same wavelength, kind of, Parisienne! For the whole story, people should go back to your blog for the context of your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...