Tuesday 15 February 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Tracks Of My Years'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Tracks Of My Years ~



Little triptych for you. Where are we? It doesn't matter. Well, Paris, obviously.

A grungy urban landscape rolling past my stationary train carriage, I'm not moving, you see, Think about it.

Where are you now? Are you moving or still? I've talked about this before, but it seems I'm not any clearer. Does the Earth spin below our feet as we pretend to walk, or is it just an illusion?

I was sitting on a train the other day, just pulling out of St. Lazare, as was the train opposite, in the same direction. All of a sudden I experienced a sensation of supreme calm and stillness, and watched, almost as if in a dream, the platform with its frozen commuters surreally slipping away from me between the two stationary trains.

It's quite an intriguing thought experiment to imagine things thus. Try it. It doesn't work so well if you're not actually moving, but if you're walking, or running or driving, where everything else around you is not, you can quite easily picture the world as your plaything, like a ball being spun by the feet of a supine circus elephant.

You know that sensation when you're driving on the motorway, and all of a sudden it feels like you're in a video game, with all the other cars and lamp posts rushing towards you as you remain stuck in the middle of the known universe? That's the same thing. But what is moving, in fact? Can you see the end of the line yet?

___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...