Thursday 10 March 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Trappings Of Wealth'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Trappings Of Wealth ~


Trappings Of Wealth, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.


Somewhere in there, through the grunge and the grime, is a daughter heading back to the UK after her first trip over here on Eurostar all on her lonesome.

I guess it's difficult to guage the fears and concerns a young teenage girl might have on such a banal-seeming journey which I've myself taken so many times over the years.

I'm happy to report that she managed admirably, no nutters or weirdos she had to sit next to (I told her they were the ones who should be worried), no 'unexpected incidents' to report, and a trip she described as 'boring'. That's teenagers for you. I remember her as a little girl, running up and down the carriages, talking to anyone, making friends here and there with the innocence of, well, a child.

There was a bit of a lump in my throat as she waited to check in, a big girl now, with her own mascara to prove it, at 13, but she still had to turn round about a hundred times to wave goodbye to her old dad, with his own wrinkles to prove it.

The clock creeps on, relentless and irreverent, the hour hand's almost pointed at her, the minute hand's lost all interest in me which is just the way it'll always be.

One of the clearest ways of realising we're getting older is the growing up of our kids I guess, and this is happening before my eyes, with both a teenage version flowering and a 15-month-old who's just started walking to contemplate with wonder and admiration.

Actually, 'getting older' probably isn't the best term to use. 'Getting richer' would be better.

___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...