Monday 21 March 2011

Paris and I ~ 'Mural Memoirs'


iPhone Photo Chronicles
~ Mural Memories ~


Writing On The Wall, originally uploaded by Paris Set Me Free.


I've going plaquing crazy at the moment, don't ask why. Can't seem to get enough of the things.

It's like I've suddenly entered another world, like I've opened a long forgotten room in my brain - the kiddie collecting chamber, where you suddenly get a crazy for something, however useless or ridiculous and just have to have themm all.

God knows I've collected some stupid things in my time. I remember roaming the central reservation of a two-lane highway near our place in the suburbs of Perth as a 9-year-old looking for a certain type of matchbox I think it was. I did cigarette packets that year too, if I remember correctly.

Stamps were a classic one I guess. So many Saturday mornings spent down at the local market buying little piecs of paper with perforated edges which I would discover about 30 years later, yellowed and all stuck together in that same old green plastic album.

I did drinks cans too. And the ring pulls from them. And coins, but that never lasted long.

And then music came along. That lasted a good few years, that one, in the grand old days of vinyl. But that wasn't pointless - that was for the music, that was! CDs followed, and then I kind of lost the collector's spirit, thank goodness, until now, that is.

Now I believe, quite sincerely, that I have to at least have taken my own personal photo of every curious plaque worth noticing in the whole of Paris. Now how stupid is that?

Stupid. So having got that out of the way, let's start with what I reckon, in all my enthusiastic and endearing naivete (it is endearing, isn't it?) is one a beauty. One of the rarest of its kind in all of this big capital.

No doubt someone will gently tap me on the shoulder one day soon and say 'By the way, I hate to be a bore, but you know there's a street in the 17th with seven of those plaques, don't you...?', shattering my illusions to be the last great white plaque hunter.

This is perfect Paris Quiz fodder I think, so I won't say any more about it, but I would love to hear about any of your own personal favourite which you might have spotted on a Parisian wall near you. We could share discoveries, and hey, why not start a club for all the other sadoes who wander round the streets with our necks craned for hours on end when normal people are watching Claire Chazal or bemoaning the price of baguette these days...

More pocket-sized tales from your friendly neighbourhood nerd tomorrow folks; now, where did I put that anorak...?

___________________________________________________________________________________
© 2011
Sab Will / Paris Set Me Free - Contact me directly for photo tours, interviews, exhibitions, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...